Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Magnetic Message Board

Earlier this summer, my mom asked me if I could make a message board of some kind that she could hang on the wall in her office.  She said she wanted it to be colorful (since the walls are plain white) and that she wanted a place to hang notes for each day.  I looked through what little craft stuff I had, but none of it was what I wanted to use.  I was in Carbondale one day and decided to stop in to Hobby Lobby.  It just so happened that they had their picture frames 50% off, so I decided I would use a picture frame for the base of the project.  As I walked around the store, I thought about what all I could do with the frame and how I could use the glass (since I didn't want to just pitch it).  Then it hit me....Magnetic Primer!!!  So...I picked up a few other things I decided I was going to need (scrapbook paper, hole punches, Collage Pauge, etc.) and I headed over to Lowes.  That is where I picked up this fantastic stuff:


I have seen this primer used on a few projects on the DIY channel and have always wanted to use it, but I never had the opportunity, until now!  This is perfect for a kids room or a space where you want to display pictures, kids art, etc.  It is super easy to use, and since it is a primer, you can paint over it in any color!!

All I did was put some craft paper down on my counter (with some newspaper under it just in case), laid the glass down on the paper, and rolled the primer on.  It was that easy!

While that was drying, I worked on the frame itself.  I used some bright colored scrapbook paper, a 2 inch hole punch, a 1 inch hole punch, a paper cutter, and some collage stuff I got at Hobby Lobby (it was kind of like Mod Podge, but cheaper).

It took my a while to decide how I wanted to arrange the paper on the frame, but this is what I ended up with:

After I was finished with that, I moved on to the clips for the days of the week.  I had some small clips at home that I wasn't using, so I decided to use those.  I cut out smaller circles and put a sticker on each one to coordinate with the days of the week.  I used the Collage Pauge to put the circles onto the clips.  Then I hot glued them on to the frame.

After everything dried, I put the glass back in the frame and then I was done!  YAY!!

Here is the finished product:

I am really happy with how it turned out!  Now my mom has a great place to keep her papers organized and to hang pictures of her wonderful daughter, son-in-law, and grandpuppy;)

3 comments:

  1. Cute! Do you know if you can use the primer on concrete? I'd like to create a play area in our basement for Austin - and I was thinking about painting blocks on the wall with chalkboard, whiteboard and magnetic paint. Read the box and let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea! I might try that!!!

    ReplyDelete